Director of development
The Director of Development, reports to the Executive Director. They will design and execute on a comprehensive development strategy for the organization’s campaign to garner/promote student veterans in global leadership positions. The Director of Development will oversee and execute on both capital campaigns and ongoing fundraising efforts. They also will form and manage the VGL development team.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities:
- Developing an effective fundraising strategy.
- Design development strategy for VGL: Work with the management team to identify funds needed, preferred funding targets, and approaches.
- Fundraising: Conduct research, prospecting, and application to multiple donor sources.
- Manage capital campaigns, engaging and overseeing capital campaign firms as necessary.
- Oversee ongoing development efforts• Build a robust donor base: Develop and maintain key long-term relationships with donors and prospects.
Eligibility and Requirements:
- Based in NYC or Washington, D.C.
- Passion for expanding VGL’s reputation in the Global Affairs community .
- Development/Fundraising: Proven success in development for a nonprofit. Experience running capital campaigns and success fundraising from multiple donor channels.
- Project Leadership: Experience in planning, leading, and managing development projects, including coordinating with peers to achieve desired outcomes, and tracking and reporting on progress to senior managers/board of directors.
- Entrepreneurial Spirit: Takes initiative and actively seeks to deepen current donor relationships and to forge new ones.
- Communications: Skilled in creating powerful, compelling written and oral communications for fundraising. Ability to convey complex ideas through brief, simple materials. Experience and credibility when presenting materials to external audiences.
- Influencing: Gets others to accept ideas by using convincing arguments, creates a win-win situation and responds appropriately to key stakeholders
- Collaboration: Effective at working with others to reach common goals and objectives.
- Relationship Building: Skilled at establishing and cultivating strong relationships with peers, across different levels of the organization and externally.
- Minimum commitment of 5 to 10 hours per week, availability to attend meetings and events on weeknights (after 5 pm), and the ability to respond to email inquiries in 48 hours under normal circumstances.
- One year commitment to position.
How to Apply:
Anyone interested should send their resume and cover letter to email@example.com with the subject "Social Media Strategy Intern Application".